Tucker Sharp lives in Joplin, MO, and he would be the first to tell you that Joplin, MO is a great place to live. The small city has a population of just over 50,000 people, and you may remember the name of his town from the song “Route 66.” However, Tucker Sharp of MO would also be the first to tell you that tornadoes are something to watch out for. Joplin, MO is located in the area known as Tornado Alley, and several tornadoes have caused significant damage to the city over the years.
Although Tornado Season is almost done for the year, Tucker Sharp wanted to provide you with several tips to keep in mind if you find yourself in a situation where a tornado might hit. The dangers of a tornado are well-known, so it’s important to remain as safe as possible. In addition to the tips he provides below, Tucker Sharp would also encourage you to visit the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration’s website for more information about remaining safe in the event of a tornado.
Tips for Staying Safe
- Go to a basement or storm shelter. If this is impossible and you are in a building, go to a room on the lowest level of the house or building where there are no windows.
- Get as much coverage as possible. This includes mattresses, pillows, blankets, and sofa cushions. You should try to create as many walls between you and the storm as possible.
- Avoid seeking shelter in a mobile home if you can.
- If you are in a vehicle, seek shelter immediately. If you cannot find a sturdy building, lie flat on the ground where there is a ditch or depression.
- Make a disaster kit beforehand so you have supplies once the storm is over.